Round three of Sock Madness completed! Onward to round four.
When I had originally bought the yarn for these socks, I was hoping that we would do them early in the competition so that they would still fall under the Project Spectrum's "fire" months. Oh well, but by the time I had finished the legs they looked un-mistakenly Gryffindor to me.
This yarn is the closest that I have come to purchasing yarn for Sock Madness, as I used Ravelry to swap for the orange. Otherwise though I have been doing pretty well with working from stash. Yay! And since it was double stranded, these used more than 900 yards of stashed lace weight alone!
I love the premise of this sock, and I hear that the pattern will be available for free soon after Sock Madness
. (Would those of you not affiliated be interested in me posting when these patterns become available?) I think that the average sock-knitter with at least a few pairs under their belt would be able to take the concept of double stranding lace weight in alternate strand combinations to make a great sock though.
This particular pattern had a lot of areas that I found a wee bit confusing , especially regarding the heel. I also got the stripe sequence "wrong" though ultimately that ended up being unimportant and resulted only from my own poor reading of the stripe instructions.
Due to the number of rows required in the foot for the competition these are way too long for me, which is sort of funny given that I knit really tightly and have a relatively high row gauge. A little bird has told me that there is a Gryffindor I know with appropriately sized feet though, so I will mail these out in the next few days as a surprise.
Labels: Hogwarts, knitting, project spectrum, socks