Monday, September 11, 2006

FO: Snowflake Socks


Yarn: Artyarns Ultramerino 4
Color: 126, near solid lavendar
Fiber Content: 100% Merino Wool
Supplier: Loop Yarns
Pattern: Magknits Sept. 2006 Snowflake Lace Socks

Modifications:
I knit these socks toe-up with a gusset, heel turn and then heel flap. The toes were done as short row heels begun with a single crochet provisional cast on. The legs were significantly shortened, since these will be given to my mom, and they were bound off using the Elizabeth Zimmermann's Sewn Cast off.

Comments:
The lace chart is backwards in the pattern and is designed to be read left to right. I found that recharting it made me less crazy. Also this was my first time using the sewn bind off, but I found that I greatly enjoyed it. Similar in many ways to the kitchener stitch, I did not find it difficult, and the results are great. You get a very stretchy bind off edge. And finally on a minor note, the "snowflakes" struck me more as daisies when this pattern was done in a colored yarn.

This yarn was bought as souvenir yarn. As we drove down to Virginia for our first real family vacation, we stopped in Philadelphia. We got out, stretched, saw the liberty bell, and of course stopped at Loop, which I had heard so much about. More about visiting yarn shops in an upcoming post.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home