Monday, February 27, 2017

FO: Forest Socks

Work on the Forest Socks went really quickly, and they have already been gifted to Jasra. 


Yarn: Schoppel-Wolle Zauberball Crazy
Needles: US 1 / 2.0mm
Pattern: magic cast-on, toe-up, 2X2 ribbing

The Zauberball was a gift from Hapto, an Ingress-friend. I was glad to be able to let it become something, and this was a very good match for the recipient.

The toes and heels were done in with a tiny little 14g skein coordinating skein I picked up from a vendor at Arisia this year. (I wish I had documented who it was from!)

Labels: , ,

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

FO: Grape Island Socks

Several months ago I started another pair of socks for Majes. At 96 sts across the foot, these took approximately forever.


Yarn: Cascade Yarns Heritage Silk Paints in color 9995 Violets and Newbury Yarns Dips Wool Nylon Fingering in DPS1060YAM
Yarn Supplier: Casco Bay Fibers and Newbury Yarns respectively
Needles: US 1 / 2.25mm
Pattern: toe up, Fish-lips heel, 2X2 ribbed leg


The second picture has the colors a little more accurately. Due to the yarn consumption, I was worried that the 100g of the purple was not going to be enough, so I chose another 100g of a fun contrast color, although I did not end up using quite all of it.

Phew! Glad these are done. I was super ready to start something new, but I know they will be well loved.

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Forest socks planning

There is just something to finding the perfect coordinating yarn for toes and heels. I was so excited about it that I hand wound the gold yarn into a center pull ball using a pencil as a nostepinne.


These forest-colored socks are well underway at this point, and I am feeling really good about making the planned recipient a new pair of handknits. Yay for knitworthy people!

Labels: , ,

Sunday, January 08, 2017

3D Printed Brake Knob

So 10 years ago, I wrote a story of when my brake knob on my Ashford Traditional wheel broke. Although I thought I had documented the rubber and steel replacement that Salvbard made for me, digging through my archives has turned up nothing. Bad blogger! If I had realized I would have taken pictures before we went on to version 2.0 here.


Isn't it amazing! He took measurements, designed it, and then 3D-printed it. We totally live in the future. This version took in a lot of my feed back about how the old version tended to be super touchy and over responsive, and the first prototype was so much better than the old replacement, that we ended up not needing another try. So awesome!

Labels:

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Grape Island Socks

Boston has been hot and dry, but I have gotten a little bit of knitting done.


Recently we went camping out on Grape Island, one of the Boston Harbor Islands. It had some lovely seaside breezes, and a campfire on the beach made for fantastic sock knitting time. I hope those of you in the Northern Hemisphere are having a fabulous summer.

Labels: , ,

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Stoney Mask FO

So the mask we were making for Salvbard was for a birthday LARP that Majes had created for my birthday. Salvbard was playing an Earth Fae, and we wanted something that would really play up that aspect.

A couple of coats of textured spray paint really added to the effect.

The pattern (see previous post for pattern details) was totally doable, although a bit fussy. There were parts that could have been done as symmetrical pieces for each side of the face, but were not, to our moderate irritation.

I added some reinforcing pieces behind the mouth front, around the eye slot, and crossing orthogonally behind the longitudinal head strips. This added a lot of necessary structure and kept the mask from experiencing strong shape bias.

Ultimately though, I am super pleased by how this came out. The major complaint about it was that due to its shape it did get fairly warm, as it trapped the wearer's warm breath against them. It was received well though and got worn far more than I feared.

Labels:

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

WIP Stoney mask

This weekend Salvbard and I started a project that combined both of our strengths. I am highly detail oriented and am skilled at handwork. Salvbard has great 3D computer modeling skills. It has been a lovely gift to get that time together; I love what a fabulous team we make.


We started with this pattern: Bio Mask version 2 from Paper Craft Square.



We ended up with 14 pages of pieces, but the software lets you have control over pattern piece layout.



Even by the time that we had cut them out, I was pretty excited to see how it would work. We put them together marked sides inward. Opps! That made everything reversed, but fortunately that was not a problem for our application.



Each piece was creased along the marked vertices, and then we needed the 3D app to figure out how each piece fit with the others. So much folding and creasing! I love the faceted surface texture this produces, which is perfect for what we wanted this for.


Inside you can see the tabs used to glue each of the vertices together. Each edge segment actually had a tab included, so only half were needed. When possible, I tried to alternate which paper piece provided the tab for additional stability and to minimize bias.

So much fun! We need to finish the piecing tonight in order to get the finishing done before this weekend, but I am really looking forward to it.

Labels: