Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Upcoming Classes

If only there was unlimited time and money to invest in crafting, I would definately take more classes than I have. In fact so far I have only take an Advanced Sock Making class at Mind's Eye Yarn's (which was really good).

Crochet in a Day at The Knitting Room
Learn the basics of crochet in this beginner-level class. You'll learn both single and double crochet, and get started on a basic project of your choice.
1 Saturday, 11:00am-1:00pm. Meets September 30. Fee: $25.


I learned to crochet when I was little, but I must have learned incorrectly. Not only did I never learn to read a printed pattern (just the basics here), but my finished fabric has a lot more texture than it really should. I think I am putting an extra half twist in or something. Not only would I like to know how to crochet to just make things with it, I would really love to have this skill to compliment my knitting. There are so many great patterns out there that use both skills. I also would really like the full day instruction period.

Stitch N’ Stretch with Jan Larivee, Licensed Massage Therapist at The Knitting Room
If you’re a knitter or crocheter who has had some pain or injury in your hands or wrists caused by overuse, this class will teach you the best ways to stay healthy while enjoying your hobby. You’ll learn preventive stretches, strengthening exercises, and self-massage techniques that will keep you knitting happily for years to come.
1 Wednesday, 6:30-7:45pm. Meets November 8. Fee: $15.


My sister (also a LMT) showed me some good stetches for when I was experiencing pain associated with my knitting. The idea of preventative stetching really appeals though. The information might very well be good for all the computer/typing work I do too. This class is definately a steal at $15.

A bunch of other stores in the area are offering a series of courses, but it just turned out that the 2 I liked best were at the same shop. They are both really reasonably priced too. A class that meets several times but costs $65 total may end up being a better deal per class, but often on a graduate student budget the per class cost isn't as important as the overall cost.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home