Wednesday, April 11, 2007

New Toys - Watercolor

I was in Central (Cambridge, MA) anyways the other day, and I was drawn into Artist Supply which I have passed by before but never stopped in. (BTW it was great. I totally recommend this store if you happen to be in the area. The staff was incredibly helpful, the selection was very good and the prices excellent. Yay for local business!) I was on the hunt for a water pen, such as I had heard about on CMP, to do watercolor when I am out and about.

Next thing I know I am walking out the door with with a Koi Water Color Pocket Field Sketch Box and a new waterproof pen. (I love my Pigma Micron, but I wanted to try something a little different. So I picked up a 0.7 mm Staedtler pigment liner, which I love! Even if my hand brushes the ink right away or I paint over it immediately there is no smearing at all on watercolor paper.) This gave me an excuse to break into a small watercolor moleskine that I had bought a few months ago. I know some people like to break in new sketchbooks with a special drawing or painting. I am of the other school of thought: just do, don't worry about being special. The swatch squares here let me get a good feel for both the paints and the paper without worrying about making "a piece of art". Now on to the more interesting uses.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home