Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Baby Turkey Hat

Long long ago, in the ancient times (2007 or so) at the very beginning of my experiences with Ravelry I came across the pattern for a baby hat that looked like a turkey. I became overwhelmed with a great desire to make this hat, but it is not the sort of thing that everyone would appreciate it.

So it was with great glee this year that I read on a friend's Google+ post that she wished her child had a turkey hat. I quickly contacted her, and a plan was made.

Pattern: Jive Turkey Baby Hat by sewgeeky (free Raverly download)
Yarn: Berroco Vintageā„¢ (5101 white) & Plymouth Yarn Encore Worsted (0175 Jewel Gold)
Yarn Supplier: Windsor Button (since closed)
Needles: US 6 - 4.0 mm and US 8 - 5.0 mm

Modifications: Somewhere at some point I saw a version in which the knitter had added purl bumps to simulate the texture of the turkey skin. I loved this idea and made up a spacing that worked for my gauge.

Many thanks for giving me a reason to make this super fun project. (And seriously is that child not one of the most adorable you have ever seen, with or without the hat? He can totally make it work.)


Note: The white in this hat was left over from a bunch of other fun projects including the Icelandic Fish Hat and Iris the Ibis. The "golden brown roasted turkey" color, on the other hand, I totally bought new for this project, because it just had to be that perfect shade.

Do you have any patterns that have been on your want-to-knit list forever that you just couldn't think of a reason to make? I had previously mentioned that the Dead or Alive Fish Hat had been like that for me, but if I had to come up with another one it would likely be the Viking or Dwarven Beard. Apparently I have a thing for silly hats.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home