Friday, November 22, 2013

Clapotis

Remember a few years ago when everybody was knitting a Clapotis or three? Yeah, me too. Holy crab-cakes, we are coming up on it having been out for ten years. I have no idea how that happened.

Anywho, so it is only this past spring that I have managed to bring myself to knitting one. (Yes, I know, bad blogger.) I had several skeins that had been sitting on the shrine of precious yarns too long and it turns out this was the perfect match for the six skins (822 yards) of highly variegated kettle-dyed yarn. These were from among my final purchases at the Knitting Room, which was long ago in East Arlington.

Yarn: Mirasol Yarn Hacho in color 304
Yarn Supplier: The Knitting Room (long closed)
Needles: US 5 / 3.75 mm
Pattern: Clapotis by Kate Gilbert

The actually knitting was every bit as fantastic as has been claimed by everyone else on the internet, so I have nothing ground breaking to report there. It was perfectly mindless, with highly amusing interludes to do the dropped stitches. Good times. I increased for the end triangles until I used up one skein, knit straight until I had only one skein left, and then decreased back down to the final corner with the last skein. I didn't both alternating skeins. Other than making sure that I alternated the skeins that happened to have a slightly brighter chartreuse accent, I let the yarn do what it wanted. The combination of bias and dropped stitches hides most of the sins there.

In the spring, this was fantastic with my wool coat. In the summer I wore it as a light shawl in over-air conditioned buildings and public transport. And now that it is getting chilly again, I find that I wear it more than ever. This is absolutely my most used hand-knit that I have ever made, which is high testimony!


This last photo was taken out hiking this Fall. Have you ever noticed that knitters wear uncoordinated knitwear more than everyone else? (Also in this picture is my blue spiral hat, which Chiquita had long-abandoned and I use a lot now.) Well at least I am warm!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home