Friday, January 12, 2007

FO: Poi Gloves

Yarn: Knit Picks Pallette (yellow, black, red)
Needles: US Size 2 bamboo DPNs
Pattern: a fusion of Hot Tamale and Cigar

Ok, this FO requires a bit of explanation. I have a friend who spins fire poi, and I wanted to make her gloves that she could spin in. Wool was essential for warmth and for safety. (Wool is self-extinguishing!) To adapt cigar, she needed less coverage on the thumb, pointer and middle finger due to where and how much dexterity she needs for the style that she spins. Also I loved the idea of putting flames on the backs, so I adapted a chart from Hot Tamale.

Other things I considered included longish ribbed cuffs to stay close to her arm and not gap when she was moving. And you may notice that her fingers are longer than mine so the ring fingers and pinkies seem long on me. I had her try them on initially and found them a bit snug, so I reworked the fingers to give her more range of movement.

My major complaint about this project was the 50 gazillion ends. Ok, maybe not 50 gazillion, but it felt like it. This project has been done for months, but I just couldn't make myself sit down to weave them in before this week. Boy am I happy not to have that looming over me anymore!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger pigbook1 said...

Those are awesome! You do amazing work

12/1/07 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are really quite clever! But I'm afraid the weaving in of all those ends would have made me procrastinate too :)

13/1/07 9:03 AM  
Blogger Sitcomgirl said...

Those are super cool! Colorwork scares me.

13/1/07 1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too cool! I think she'll really like them! So thoughtful too.

14/1/07 1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home