Thursday, January 11, 2007

FO: Trekking Man Socks

Knitting for my SO is a fine balance of as plain as he wants and as boring as I am willing to knit. This yarn was a great compromise. I still got the "oh look a new color" experience that is Trekking. He got grey, grey, grey with a boring pattern. Everybody wins.
Yarn: Trekking XXL
Supplier: Woolcott & Co.
Needles: 40" US Size 1 Addi Turbos circulars
Pattern: my basic boy (toe-up) sock pattern
Yardage: 459 yards

What is my basic boy sock pattern? It is a stockinette foot, short row heel, 3X1 ribbing, 1X1 cuff, and sewn bind off (if toe-up). I have found that this fits my boy very well. It is stretchy enough but still smart looking. It is plain, but the 3X1 leg is a little more fun to knit than a 2X2 leg would be. Also he likes no negative ease, which makes the toe of the sock look a little baggy, but also means that he will actually wear the socks.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are great socks! Being pretty new to knitting, your instructions are great but a bit vague, do you have the pattern written somewhere? I would love to have it to do some toe-ups for my hubby.

11/1/07 11:09 PM  
Blogger omly said...

For the most part you can follow Wendy's generic toe-up pattern. For socks in weights similar to Trekking for my SO, I found he needed 80 sts cast on. So when you do the short row toes and heels you wrap until there are 10 wrapped on both the left and right.

Also a good explanation for a provisional crocheted cast-on, which is my preferred for toe-up cast-on socks can be found as a video here. (Although I tend to pull out only one crocheted stitch at a time so that there is less chance of loosing one.)

So once you have done the toe as described in the pattern, knit until the length of the foot is 1" short in stockinette, measuring from the toe. Thus will give you no negative ease. Most patterns suggest starting as early as 2" before the foot so that the sock hugs your foot more.

Do the short row heel and then stockinette until you reach the ankle bone. Then start the ribbing, In my case here I am knitting 3 sts , then purling 1. Continue up the leg until you think your will die or until the ball left is fairly small (10g?). Then start the cuff. Mine is a 1X1 rib so that I can do a sewn bind-off. Remember that when you wear a sock the cuff will be shorter when stretched around your calf, so this should be longer than you might think.

And thats it!

12/1/07 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home