Saturday, November 22, 2008

Astronomy/Astrology

On one of my Harry Potter boards there was a challenge to knit or crochet something that reflects our astrological sign. There have been some amazing projects, such as pdxwoman's Chalchihuitlicue (ravelry link) based on her Aztec zodiac sign. (That second link is pretty neat, but remember to enter you birth date in the Julian calendar.)

Someone who would know better than I would once told me that I am a bit of a rare bird because my sun, moon and rising signs are all cancer. I don't know about that, but I do have to admit to being a water baby.

And I had the perfect "water-y" yarn in my stash. Noro is lovely, but isn't something I usually have in my budget. This Silk Garden sock yarn though was something I picked up after my thesis defense, as a little bit of a splurge.


Yarn: Noro Silk Garden Sock
Yarn Supplier: Wild & Woolly in Lexington, Massachusetts
Needles: US 1 / 2.25 mm
Pattern: Riverbed Master Pattern by Cat Bordhi
Pattern Source: New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One

And a picture of the heel detail:

The heel design was done in duplicate stitch with some Knit Picks Pallette in "blue" I had lying around in my stash. The pattern was modified from this dish cloth pattern.

The cuffs were sort of fun too. I did them with a hem rather than any ribbing. To keep the top from getting too bulky, I used a little bit of Louet Gems sock yarn in "french blue", which is a finer yarn, in the same number of stitches for the regular leg, and then I sewed down the live stitches to the inside of the sock.

Pretty! I did really like the colors, but although the Silk Garden sock yarn is significantly less scratchy then Kueryon it still put a lot of wear on my hands a first. After the first few days of knitting with it may hands were a little sensitive, though they toughened up. Verdict? I would buy it again, but even if I could afford to I wouldn't knit with it all the time.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ankita Malhotra said...

Astrologers accept that Moon impacts the body vibrations similarly as it influences the sea waves during the tides. Indeed, even logical examinations have demonstrated that individuals carry on oddly during the full moon evenings since this is one planetary body that is profoundly associated with the human brain.

Best Astrologer in Delhi


16/4/20 4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home