Friday, December 19, 2008

I'm not dead yet

Sorry for the radio silence recently. A combination of the end of the semester and work for the upcoming Arisia convention have totally kept me frantic. On top of that my partner has been gone for the last month on business travel, which has left me even more scattered. (But if you go to his blog you can see some very pretty pictures of his travels.)

I have been doing some knitting, but alas I have a tragic story to share. You may to stop reading if you are easily upset.

Ok ready? The most upsetting thing that can happen to any commuting knitter happened to me last week. I lost my project bag on a bus. Not only did that mean that I had nothing to knit... it also meant that I lost 2 Christmas presents in progress.

One was a pair of socks for Salvbard, two-at-once halfway through the ridiculously long cuff he likes. It was in fingering weight and a color of Mountain Colors Bearfoot that I know he would have really liked.

The other was a pair of gauntlet length fingerless mitts for one of my dearest friends in Slytherin colors. I had finished the first one, and the second one was just about finished with the thumb gusset. I do not have time to make another pair in time. I am seriously crushed.

If you have any news that might cheer me up or a story of similar woes I would love to hear them. It has been an upsetting few days.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! This is sad news. :((((( I'm so sorry to hear about it! Maybe next time put your name address and phone number in the bag, on a card or tag maybe? I know, I know... hindsight...

20/12/08 2:07 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

That is sad. Did you try calling the MBTA? Something as unusual as a knitting bag would probably cause comment and go to the lost and found rather than the trash.
I am sorry you have had such a hectic time. It has been a little wild here too. (Especially for my sister - three trees fell on her house in NH and one of her dogs died while the other one is gravely ill.) I hope we will see you in January and can do something to lift your spirits. If I had any Slytherin colored yarn I would give it to you to replace what you lost.
-Carolyn
P.S. Merryn (who is not fond of long books) is reading Harry Potter for the first time. She is totally immersed in it, but we have practically had to gag Avellana to keep her from spoiling the plot of the first three books. Sometimes having older sisters is trying.

20/12/08 2:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh no!

A few years back I was flying and one of my bags got lost - and I don't just mean put on the wrong plane, like really really lost. In it was a pair of socks-in-progress for my then Secret Pal, including needles and a copy of Knitting On the Road.

I did eventually (about a month later!) get my bag back, but when I did the socks and knitting items were missing along with a coin purse and some chocolates that were in the bag. But they left my expensive sunglasses so I'm wondering what's up with the airport baggage bandits.

20/12/08 8:10 PM  
Blogger Patience said...

Too bad they aren't open until Monday, but maybe there's hope:

Lost & Found:

Subway/Bus, Lost & Found: (617) 222-3200
(8:30 AM - 5:00 PM Mon-Fri)

If you ride that bus often, would the driver recognize you?

20/12/08 9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I can just imagine the trauma of losing knitting-in-progress. My heart goes out to you. It has only happened to me temporarily and I did, evnetually, get everything back - but it was panic-inducing never the less.

Be sure I'll be holding a good thought that your stuff is restored to you!

21/12/08 9:07 AM  
Blogger Pandora said...

I am so sorry! I lost one of my mermaid's arms once and it was found, but nothing as tragic has happened to my knitting. I spilled hot chocolate on my Mac about 2.5 months ago and killed it if that helps.

22/12/08 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home