Saturday, January 29, 2011

Snow and Knee Highs

If nothing else, Boston is certainly experiencing a real winter this year. 60.3"/153cm of snow so far this year, and we are likely to get more today. On average Boston only gets 41"/104cm of snow total. Good thing I just finished up a new pair of knee highs to keep my legs warm. Here they are in use:

When I made my Molly Weasley socks I discovered that by using a contrast yarn for heels and toes I can just eke out a pair of knee highs. So armed with this knowledge and some more experience customizing knitting patterns to my own specifications, I started another pair of knee highs.

Main Yarn: Rio De La Plata Yarns Sock Multicolor
Yarn Supplier: Webs
Contrast Yarn: Lang Yarns Jawoll Solid Superwash
Yarn Supplier: Knitting Treasures in Plymouth, MA
Needles: US 1/2.25mm

The pattern for these is just improvised, but these are my best fitting knee-highs I have made so far. I gave them a little extra length so that they wouldn't get tugged down as easily when I walk, and the calf shaping is more personalized than I have done before. Final result: they fit great, and they really do stay up well! It was totally worth the extra time they took, and there is nothing like a pair of hand-knit knee highs as an additional layer to keep you warm.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knee-highs are great. (It is one reason I am glad that I am 5'2" though...not so far to go. LOL)

30/1/11 8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home