Monday, February 26, 2007

FO: Baby Penguin

Remember the Baby Duck pattern I posted about at the beginning of the month? Well as I mentioned, a friend of the family was having a baby shower , and the theme was penguins. So I thought I would whip up a penguin-y version. After a quick color change and an adaption for gauge in the beak (I was stash-busting) we were good to go.

Yarn: Cotton Classic (bonnet) and Debbie Bliss Cotton DK (beak)
Fiber: 100% cotton
Needles: KP US Size 2 circulars for bonnet, US Size 3 DPNs for beak
Pattern: Baby Duck by Melissa

Although the original pattern called for Baby Ull, I found the Cotton Classic to be an okay substitute. A suggested gauge would have been handy though. Other than the yarn/fiber substitution the bonnet was knit as directed.

The beak, on the other hand I did a bunch of mods on. I wanted it shorter than the pattern calls for. The yarn I had was too heavy, so when I attached it, I did 1 beak st for every 2 bonnet sts, centered on the bonnet.

Also the original pattern called for krazy gluing googly eyes on, but this just didn't seem baby safe to me. So instead I embroidered "anime" eyes on. Given more time I might have worked out an eye shape using duplicate stitch though.

In the end I am really happy with this, and it was a huge hit at the baby shower. The parts of the bonnet that I actually followed were really simple, and I might have been able to figure them out on my own. I don't mind having paid for the inspiration and simple math though, especially as I ended up making this on a bit of a time crunch.

Labels: ,


Post a Comment

<< Home