Sunday, June 03, 2007

SPS & FO: Now with Wedding Shawl

To review: I knit this wedding shawl for my sister who is getting married in July.

Ok so as of Saturday morning this is where we were. I finished the final bit of edging, went to visit Lucy at Mind's Eye Yarns, (BTW if you are planning on stocking up on Noro during her fabulous anniversary sale you should get in there soon), and then went home to block.Blocking took place on my favorite yoga mat, which actually worked surprisingly well. I go the idea from all the people I have heard of using those interlocking exercise mats for the same purpose. This certainly wouldn't have worked for all shapes or sizes, but was perfect in this case.
Now for a gratuitous glamor shot. I used a long length of nylon thread along the edge to keep the points looking smooth. This looked fabulous while blocking, but I think I lost a little definition when I started removing the thread.
And now for the moment I, at least, was waiting for. It's done! (My sister is my height so the length should be fine.)
Yarn: Jaggerspun Zephyr in white
Fiber: 50% merino 50% silk
Supplier: Lakeside Fiber
Needles: 12" and 40" US Size 4 circulars
Pattern: Eunny Jang's Print o' the Wave Stole
I absolutely love the how this shawl looks from the back! My sister's birthday is this week, so I will probably surprise her then.

edit: A quick back of the envelope calculation reveals that there is just over a mile of laceweight in this shawl.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Knitelly said...

Oh, absolutely beautiful. It looks wonderful, and you have done a fabulous job.

Elly

3/6/07 11:37 PM  
Blogger Moose said...

That is gorgeous!!!! I don't know how you stayed sane through a mile of laceweigght but it was well worth it - she's going to love it.

4/6/07 4:01 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

The shawl is lovely, and I'm sure your sister will be thrilled. It looks pretty good on you, too.

4/6/07 7:31 AM  
Blogger twirldawg said...

Beautiful!

I never thought of using a yoga mat for blocking, thanks for the tip.

4/6/07 8:21 AM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

It is excellent!! I love that pattern and it looks great in white.

4/6/07 3:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I LOVE IT! So, I'm guessing your sister does not know about/read your blog? LOL :))))

She will be sooooo surprised and happy ! :)

6/6/07 8:29 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Gorgeous! You did an amazing job on it -- your sister is one lucky girl!

20/6/07 1:23 PM  
Blogger YarnThing said...

Totally Awesome! Stunning!

Great Job!!!

Marly
knitthing.mypodcast.com
knitthing.blogspot.com

21/6/07 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home