Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Start of Summer

Finally! The start of the Summer of Socks has begun. While I was waiting, I finished up my Ravenclaw socks, which need many ends woven in (pictures coming soon).
I finished the ribbing on my second Dulaan hat from the Dulaan-a-thon and dropped it off at the Knitting Room. This hat is big and almost beret-like on me, but fits Salvbard pretty well.
I did one of the Lesson 5 squares (Nooks n' Crannies with an H hook), in which I learned all about crocheted ribbing and felt guilty about using knitted ribbing on the above hat. Can anyone tell me how a crocheted ribbing compares to a knitted one in relation to relative stretchiness and "grip"?
Desperate for some easy playground knitting, I started the Fairly Easy Fair Isle Sweater from Stitch n' Bitch Nation. I have had the bulky yarn in my stash for almost a year now, and somehow it bothers me that so few yards take up so much valuable volume in my stash bins. Plus the yarn was even in a Project Spectrum color! Still this just wasn't the same as having a nicely portable pair of socks.

So this morning I cast on a pair of toe-up socks with the oh-so-soft Supermerino that Jill had given me as part of the Lime n' Violet Swap. The tentative plan right now is that these will become a pair of Christmas socks for my mother. More details on pattern to come soon. For now I will leave it at the fact that dk weight socks work up incredibly fast.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I don't find that crocheted ribbing has either the give or the flexibility of knitted ribbing. I would always use knitted ribbing if there was a way to manage it.

Don't feel guilty, it's a matter of using the right tool for the job :)

22/6/07 9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home