Monday, March 10, 2008

Fleur Delacour

Although she isn't by any means a major character, I have to admit that I always enjoyed Fleur Delacour. Not the Fleur of the movies so much as the one in the books though. She was a student at Beauxbatons, a school for wizardry similar to Hogwarts in southern France. And she competed as one of the champions for the 1994 - 1995 Triwizard Tournament, in fact the only female selected to do so that year.

2B pencil sketch in plain moleskine

I never saw Fleur as Clémence Poésy, the actress that plays the character in The Goblet of Fire. (And I assume the rest of the series, but I don't know that for sure.) If anything I always thought she would look more like Mélissa Theuriau. Not to be incredibly superficial, but I just thought that anyone who was quarter Veela would be stunning. [For those unaware the Veela are a race of semi-human creatures who look like young, beautiful women, who are known for their ability to seduce males by both their dance and simply their appearance. They look more harpy-like when angered though.]

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the other hand, Veela appeal especially to males - so perhaps you and I couldn't see what the big deal was?

I like your portrait though; I especially like the half-horrified expression on her face :) Fleur (at least in The goblet of fire) was nothing if not judgmental!

11/3/08 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. She's really pretty.

I always imagined Fleur to be lovely, but not quite pretty enough to warrant all the attention paid to her - as if her Veela side added a je ne sais quoi to her aura. Sort of like the season 7 episode of Buffy called "Him," with all the girls fighting over a boy with a magical jacket.

12/3/08 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home