Sunday, March 08, 2009

Chunky Alpaca Hat

With the start of March we have begun a new round of Project Spectrum. This year each of the 2-month periods are focused on a different cardinal direction. We begin with Earth.

NORTH (March/April)
Color: Green
Material: Stones/Gems/Rocks
Season: Winter
Element: Earth

So I dug around in the stash and rediscovered a single skein of Misti Alpaca Chunky that I have had plans for and cast on. The color was absolutely perfect for my thoughts about this element at the moment. It is that pale yellow green of tentative green buds. Whenever it is cold enough to wear an alpaca hat, I need a reminder that spring will follow before too long.

Yarn: Misti International Misti Alpaca Chunky in color 1477
Yarn Supplier: the (now closed) Knitting Room
Pattern: Big Hat by Rosemary Waits
Hook: 6.0 mm (J)

Modifications: Because my yarn was not as heavy a weight as recommended I did one extra increase round (dc twice into same stitch, dc into each stitch 3 times repeat) and then continued in pattern until out of yarn. Top down hats are awesome like that!

I have always been slightly dubious of double crocheted hats. I think that they just looked like the wind would blow right through them, but when I saw this pattern when it was first posted on Rosemary's blog, I knew I had to make it. And the slightly fuzzy, warm alpaca actually compliments the pattern more than I had anticipated. This hat has quickly become a favorite, and I have a friend who already is plotting to try to steal it. Maybe I should think about making another one...

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Pandora said...

Pretty! Where did you get your glass head?

13/3/09 11:00 AM  
Blogger omly said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

13/3/09 11:11 AM  
Blogger omly said...

Thank you, my sister got me that glass head about 10 years ago at Pier One Imports, but they still seem to care them for about $15.

13/3/09 11:17 AM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

It's gorgeous! The thick yarn really makes it a super warm hat, especially on top of it being a warm fiber.

8/4/09 3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home