Monday, July 20, 2009

Stripy Hoody

When last we left off discussing this sweater, I was worried about running out of turquoise. You see I was using the Wildfoote double stranded to more closely match the 6-ply since it is so fine. Well of course that meant I was using it up at twice the rate!

And indeed I ran out about halfway up the hood. Not to be deterred I broke out the calculator and figured out how many of the turquoise stripes at the bottom of the body I would need to remove to finish the hood. Then I carefully put in a provisional line, made an incision and then ripped out before that point. After this was done I could then reverse direction and knit down a new set of ribbing. If this makes you break out in cold sweats just thinking about it, have no fear. I am a trained professional (or something). Besides, I have photographic evidence that it turned out fine.

Yarn: Brown Sheep Wildfoote Luxury Sock & Opal 6-ply
Needles: US 3 / 3.25 mm
Pattern: Hooded Striped Top by Debbie Bliss
Size: 12-18 months
Pattern Source: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino

This is a pattern I had been wanting to make forever. Usually I have a ton of things I want to make for little girls, but not as many for little boys. And this pattern is great for any babies at all! I love the buttons and hood combination, which really seems useful having had a little one that size once.

If the body seems a bit wide and short, it is not because of my unorthodox knitting method this time. The pattern really is designed that way. While some of that is necessary, since the thought is that this would be an overlayer, I think if I make this again I might narrow it a smidgen.

Having said all of that though, I love this pattern. Even if it is worked in pieces, and seamed, that did not deter me in the slightest. I love the classic look, and the stripes means I can make this out of less than 2 sets of socks worth of yarn.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home