Friday, August 21, 2009

Book Covers

Today's post is not about my own creative efforts, but those of a friend I met through the Creative Mom Podcast group.

Ok so I spend a fair amount on the bus. Now of course a lot of that time is taken up by knitting, but I am also an avid reader. So I was really excited when I saw that Jessica of Ocean of Creativity was making fabric book covers.

I actually received these more than a year ago, but I kept waiting for her to post more in her Etsy store. I haven't seen her do so, but if you were interested I bet she could make some more if you contacted her.

I can't say that I am terribly skilled when it comes to sewing, but I absolutely loved the idea of these. Generally most of my books are library discards or donated library booksale finds. Good reading, but they aren't always in the best shape. So I contacted Jessica about the possibility of sending her some much loved fabric that I wasn't going to do anything with, and I have to say I am thrilled with the results.

She made me one one in a hardback and one in paperback size (I would say up to 350-400 pages, but I bet you could request one that accommodated a thicker paperback if you wanted). There is a ribbon at the top of the spine that you can use as a bookmark, and a loop of fabric that goes through a ribbon loop at the side to hold the book closed while it is in your bag.

I am a tactile person, and I have to say that my first impression is that these really have some thickness to them. They are fully lined and in the case of the hardcover it has an extra layer of interfacing that gives it some substance and added protection.

Which leads to me to my next question. It is the end of summer. I am doing a lot of chilling on the new couch reading since it has been too hot to knit much. What have you all been reading this summer? Anything you would recommend?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

Hmm. My summer reading has been varied. I actually did more reading than knitting this summer. I need to pick simpler projects so that I can read and knit at the same time.
One book I read which I highly recommend was Washington Irving's "Sketchbook".

23/8/09 2:36 PM  
Blogger Marigold said...

Gorgeous! love those butterflies

23/8/09 10:32 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Hi - tried to reply to your email, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Blueberries - Only very simple plans this time around - I like adding them to muffin mixes, and adding them to pancake batter. We also clean a bunch of them and
put them in a bowl in the kitchen, and it's surprising how quickly theydisappear. We also like to put them in baggies and take them for walks - they really are perfect for that :-)

30/8/09 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home