Monday, October 12, 2009

Locust Socks

I hope that everyone in the US had a great Columbus day. Even if he just "discovered" an already populated continent, a school holiday is still welcome. It was a surprisingly beautiful day, with that perfect chill edge of autumn. And that meant good light to take new FO pictures.

Here we are 12 days into Socktober, and I haven't gotten around to mentioning it once! Well at the beginning of the month, I cast-on a pair of socks in honor of the celebration. These would not have taken so long if I wasn't working on another pair of socks as well.

Pattern: Yarrow Ribbed Socks
Pattern Source: Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush
Yarn: Yarn Ahoy Superwash Handpainted Merino Sock
Needles: US 0 / 2.0 mm

Modifications: leg and foot done in stockinette with a wedge toe.

I started this pattern to try something new, but after doing the top ribbing I was unhappy with the way this variegated yarn looked in ribbing. I really wanted to try the german heel in this pattern though. It was fun to do, but not hugely different from a standard heel-flap. I would have done the french toe too, but I was just too tired to figure out how to convert it to 2 at a time magic loop whe I got that far.

This yarn was one I traded for on Ravelry for the huge leftover ball of yarn from my sister's wedding shawl. From that person I had the yarn name, but not the colorway, so I started doing some research. It is almost exactly like Yarn Ahoy's Sour Grapes colorway, but with brown instrad of purple. (Accidental over dyeing of purple with the neon green?) I have decided this version of the colorway makes me think of locusts, particularly like in this picture. (Obviously if you are bug-phobic don't click through.)

So are any of you celebrating Soctoberfest at all this year? I am hearing a lot less on the blog-o-sphere for whatever reason.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was struck by the colours of the sock. Nice combination, and they make great-looking socks.

13/10/09 7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home