Saturday, October 03, 2009

Mitered Mittens

I have been trying for the last year or so to knit more from my book stash. I have all these wonderful pattern books, and I really wanted to be using them. Additionally, I have been spinning again the last few months, which has motivated me to think about knitting my handspun.

So it was only natural that these two thoughts would collide. The result is a pair of super-fun mittens. This yarn was spun back in July, and was a single stand of handspun plied with a strand of silver sparkly sewing thread. It is always neat to watch how handspun will knit up , and the way the roving had two strands of differently colored pencil roving held together gives this a heathered look, similar to what it had been if I had plied two singles together.

Pattern: Mitered Mittens (May) by Elizabeth Zimmermann
Pattern Source: Knitter's Almanac
Needles: US 5 / 3.75 mm
Yarn: my handspun

Modifications: My mitered sections were only slightly larger 13 stitches each, because my handspun was finer but I have small hands. I did a shorter cuff because I was worried about running out of yarn in the same color sequence. Also I made a thumb gusset similar to the ones done by Kathryn Ivy. And finally I did a more rounded area by the fingers.

I was a little worried when I spun this yarn that the sparkle would be too garish, but it really just adds a little interest and fun. This pattern was great for really highlighting an interesting yarn, and I could see myself making it again.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Thea said...

They look lovely!

4/10/09 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home