Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Stripley socklets

A project I did not even had time to mention before finishing them was this pair of quick socklets for myself. I had needed a no-brainer project and so had cast-on this pair from a single unloved 50g ball of self-striping in my stash.

Yarn: mystery wool-nylon blend
Needles: US 1 / 2.5 mm
Pattern: Riverbed Master Pattern with heel modifications (see below)
Pattern Source: New Pathways for Sock Knitters by Cat Bordhi

Since I had cast these on toe-up from either end of the ball, the stripes are technically in opposite directions, which you probably would not notice unless it is pointed out (ahem like right now). Fortunately this does not trouble me in the slightest, and since these are so small they are just for me.

I had a lot of fun with the heel shaping, which was a modification from Cat Bordhi's original listed in the pattern. I can't imagine her as anything but pleased with people experimenting and trying something different though. Here I did the gusset stitches as in the original pattern, which I find particularly elegant as evidenced that I chose it again after using it twice before. Then I made a small heel turn and added short rows. The result is a heel that actually fits very well. I am super glad I did these two-at-once though in order to ensure they are identical in design though!

Labels: ,


Post a Comment

<< Home