Tuesday, October 31, 2006

FO: Socktoberfest Socks

I wasn't sure if I would finish these by the end of October, but here they are!

Yarn: 1-4 oz skein Lapis merino sock yarn
Supplier: Black Bunny Fibers
Needles: 40" US 0 circular needles, cast off with 32" US 2 circular needles
Pattern: toe-up socks with crocheted provisional, my own heel (an almost faux heel flap), calf shaping and picot-type bind off

Robyn had expressed a little bit of confusion about what I meant by an "increase seam", so I figured I would include a photo of that. I really like the look of this.

The bind-off was a case of going with what the universe gives you. A few rows into the picot edge it became clear that not only was it sticking out rather than going straight up (which is common if you don't use a smaller needle size), the edge actually wanted to point down. I suspect that this has to do with the way I knit which I am told is somewhat odd and involves sort of working "under" the stitch.

The heel was an attempt to try something a little bit different. I am sure that someone else has thought of something similar though. I worked in the round, increasing for a "gusset" and then worked a little bit of short row shaping before working a heel stitch pattern over half the stitches while using decreases to use up the "gusset" stitches. The result is a fairly snug ankle that I am pretty happy with. Although it looks somewhat like a heel flap, no stitches were picked up.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh - thanks for the close-up! It looks very stylish indeed. I don't know if you're old enough to remember stocking with seams, but they were a pain to keep straight (the seams that is!). Your socks look just wonderful :)

31/10/06 9:34 AM  
Blogger pigbook1 said...

Adorable! I need to try socks one of these days

31/10/06 12:50 PM  
Blogger BlackRayne said...

Ooh... very nice! I love the color too!

1/11/06 12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home