Friday, June 29, 2007

Danke Socks

Hey look, an excuse to use my new sock blockers from the Loopy Ewe! These socks are a thank you for one of Salvbard's German aunts who so incredibly generously gifted me with some of her hand-knit sweaters.
Yarn: Regia Cotton Surf - color 5413
Needles: US Size 0s
Marathon Yardage: 260 yards
Total Mileage: 2.1 miles
Pattern: 72 sts, cuff-down, heel flap, wedge toe, 2X2 rib on leg and top of foot

Hmm with the cuff down these almost seem like cheating as my second pair for the Summer of Socks. I only ever saw her wear commercial cotton anklets, so I wanted to make it as user friendly as possible.
There, much better! Secretly knitting for someone is always interesting, since you don't get exact measurements. I was told that she was probably about a European size 36 (US Size 6) which was about what I was estimating. The ribbing was added in the hope that it would help with fit despite my lack of measurements. Now these just need a label printed so that I can package them to go out next week.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger mjm knitting said...

those socks are beautiful!
i like the fact that they cuffs can be turned down when it's warm and vice versa in cooler weather.

29/6/07 7:46 PM  
Blogger bookwoman said...

Beautiful! I love the colors.

2/7/07 7:49 AM  
Blogger Creative Life Studio said...

These socks are really beautiful, Omly. I am just finishing my first sock - with heel flap, etc. I had done a pair of tube socks before, but I wanted to be able to do a pair of "real" socks to feel more initiated into knitting. :) I can see why socks are so popular... though the one I have made is much longer than what I normally wear. I am happy to have learned the basics, though. The ones here look very soft and painterly. Quite lovely. :)

2/7/07 8:51 AM  
Blogger Kellie Huffman said...

I am liking those socks! great colour and the length looks perfect. I am just starting with sock knitting so this might be a silly question but am I right in thinking that this is your our pattern? That little description you wrote is the pattern? and if I just understand what all those phrases mean ['heel flap' 'wedge toe' etc] I could make them too?

3/7/07 9:43 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Cute socks!

3/7/07 2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are very pretty, cuff down or up. I like the 'down' version better!

3/7/07 3:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love them-- they are certainly summer colors! I just bought some sock yarn similar from knit picks-- for my FIRST pair of socks!! :)

6/7/07 8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home