Saturday, June 30, 2007

Thinking about dragons

Life is absolutely crazy here. This is the morning of my sister's wedding, but we have about 10 minutes of down time before the hair and makeup people arrive. So you all get a pre-written post that I hadn't had time to finish before. These socks are further along now, but I haven't had a chance to take new photos.



I have this great souvenir yarn from Lubeck, Germany. This yarn is much more variegated than any other Regia I have ever bought before, and I wanted something that would highlight its best properties without losing anything in the pattern.

Then the heavens opened up when I remembered that Laura had given me a copy of the Heartland Knits Diamond Patch Socks, a pattern for mitered socks. Are you intrigued yet? What does it make you think of first?


For me it was immediately dragons. I love dragons about as much as I love mermaids. And the mitered squares of the diamond patch socks is stronly reminiscent of scales. Combined with the project spectrum colors (red, black, and grey/silver), my first thought was the Hungarian Horntail.

Going by movie images, this interpretation makes sense, but in reading more about dragons in the Potter-verse I am actually not sure that the Hungarian Horntail is acturate, as the canon description appears to involve no red. On the other hand the Chinese Fireball has no black. Perhaps the Ukrainian Ironbelly (metallic grey with red eyes)? Hmmm... Am I think about this too much? Maybe, but it is fun.

The pattern calls for Koigu or Shepard Sport on US Size 1s, but I am knitting it with Regia 4-ply instead. A quick try on reveals that it is not at too small which I had feared given the recommended yarns.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Love the socks... and I really hope the wedding went well. Post pics! :) I wanna see her in the shawl! :)

7/7/07 9:34 PM  
Blogger Gryffinitter said...

Is the advanced Magical Creatures students Question "Which Dragon is this?"

HMMM...it could actually be not the dragon, but the whole contest, if you like. Harry does get cutin the book - I just checked. Madam Pomfrey has to clean and heal it, so there must have been some blood. In that case, you have the dragon colors, and if you like ans want to award the blood to the Dragon, then the red fits in.
Dragon-in-the-contest or Dragon-and-what-she-does.
Or you could consider the red Gryffindor Red, in which case you have Dragon-and-her-opponent in a slightly different guise...

Thea from the Hogwarts Sock-swap

8/7/07 1:58 PM  
Blogger pigbook1 said...

I didn't really think dragons, but I see it now that you mention it. I love the colors. I can't wait to see them done. You have to share a picture of your sister in "the shawl" Hope she has a perfect wedding. Tell her congrats

9/7/07 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Dragon scales, indeed. How fabulous - and what a perfect colorway for that.

9/7/07 3:20 PM  
Blogger Creative Life Studio said...

Wow! These are going to be gorgeous! I'm quite sure I'm not nearly ready to tackle something like this... but more power to ya!! :) Can't wait to see the finished product!

9/7/07 9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home