Thursday, November 01, 2007

Mexican Jacket

To continue the finishing streak, I am now presenting the "Mexican Jacket." The yarns for this sweater were somewhat unloved. Salvbard deemed them too busy for socks for him (my original intention) and no one was interested in them for swap or even for free. So I brought them back home and started considering little boy sweaters. Fortunately my sister's best friend has a boy just the right age to accommodate.


Yarns: Regia Jacquard Color 6-ply in 5180 & Fortissima 6 Ply Socka in 4007
Pattern: Mexican Jacket by Lesley Stanfield from Adorable Crochet for Babies and Toddlers
Size:18 months
Buttons: La Mode (R) Hook 567 Style 2906 (3- 3/4" buttons)
Button Supplier: Fabric Corner

Modifications:
I skipped the color work other than to include it as a stripe of a second color. (Color A = 3 skeins of Fortissima in 4007; Color B, C, D, E = 1 and 1/3 skeins Regia in 5180) This meant that I didn't get the color work effect originally intended (the yarn was to busy for it anyways), but also meant that I just barely had enough color A yarn to finish. So basically I used the pattern mostly for it's construction.

This does not seem to have been a terribly popular pattern out on the internet. The only version I have been able to find can be seen here in the Crochetville archives. I admit that once I had started it I had my doubts about the sizing. According to the gauge and number of stitches for the back, the 18 month size was meant to have a 24" chest circumference.

Chatting with Robbyn of Yarnpath and host of Chatters (see sidebar at her site for details), I have previously admitted that this sweater has an "old man's favorite ugly sweater" thing going on. I am not sure if the buttons make it better or worse but I love them!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omly, it's beautiful! It may have the "old and fugly" vibe, but in an endearing way. The buttons are truly perfection :)

On an old man, it would make you shake your head. On a baby boy, it would charm you out of your socks :)

Nice job!

2/11/07 12:19 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh I think it's super cute! Glad you were able to use the yarn too!

2/11/07 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home