Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Ravenclaw II Socks

It is the night of the Great Pumpkin! Happy Halloween everybody.


I am afraid I will not be home for the holiday as I need to run Chiquita here there and everywhere this afternoon and evening, so I thought I would post a little earlier in the day than I usually do.

With Halloween comes the end to Socktoberfest. I am afraid that I did not really get to work on socks as much as I would to have liked since I really needed to finish my Hogwarts Sock Swap II socks. Honestly I have never had so many problems with one pair of socks in my life. I tried 3 different patterns in 2 directions, with countless times I ripped back at the heel. And yes I did end up doing the sock surgery, because I am a bit anal apparently. They have since gone out in the mail though and I am anxiously awaiting their arrival. So if you are my pal you may not want to read all the way to the end of this post since I will include a photo after my discussion.

When I found out that my pal was in Ravenclaw and preferred movie colors (blue and silver rather than blue and bronze) I was pretty excited. The socks I had done for the last round were in book colors, so I got to do something a little different. I had had in my stash some Knit Picks Memories in Yukon that I had been saving for a special occassion, and this seemed to be the time. Amusingly the contrast yarn I chose was also discontinued shortly after I started this pair.

I know that yarn manufacturers like any other business have to really think about which lines sell best, but I am really sad that Memories was discontinued. It feels really nice and the colors are great. True I might wish that the color lengths were a little longer, but otherwise it is a great yarn. (You may remember that I knit these socks alternating strands to minimize the flashing.) Plus it is pretty amazing how well this yarn held up to all the ripping out. I guess that everybody is looking for superwash yarns these days though, since all of the Knit Picks sock yarns have gone in that direction.

Many thanks to Salvbard for modeling the socks, because although I have sock blockers they are for smaller feet than these socks. And let's face it, socks not on the foot or a blocker just look... well flaccid, especially with the ribbing down the foot. For some reason it hadn't previously occurred to me before than a men's small foot is just about the same as a women's large.


Knit For: "Avada Finchfletchley" of Girl With a Twist
Yarns: Knit Picks Memories in Yukon and Jaeger Matchmaker Merino 4 Ply
Pattern: Basic Ribbed Socks (men's size) from Vogue Knitting on the Go: Socks Two

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home