Monday, May 11, 2009

Sunflower Tam

Seriously, the weather in New England is absolutely crazy. One day it is in the 80s; the next day it is in the 50s and clammy. In shear self defense, I have taken to knitting almost exclusively hats and baby items. What do all of you do?


Pattern: Sunflower Tam by Norah Gaughan
Pattern Source: Knitting Nature
Yarn: Cascade Yarns 220 Superwash in color 814
Supplier: Webs
Needles: US 8 / 5.0 mm
Size: child

Can I just say how much I love this book? Honestly I bought it sort of suspecting that I would never knit anything from it, but as I was flipping through it recently for inspiration I was totally stuck by this hat.

Unfortunatley I don't think I quite have the confidence to wear such a thing, but fortunately my daughter does. She loved it, and immediately started digging through the stash to pick out some yarn with which I could make it.

And I am really happy to report that is is really fun to knit too. I had a little trouble figuring out the instructions for RT, but it wasn't that bad by trial and error. And I am not sure how much better it could have been worded. I think I just had to see it to understand.

By the way, blocking a tam on a plate is the best idea ever. I am not sure where I first heard of this idea, but it is awesome. Sorry, there are no pictures of it on child, she ran off with it as soon as it was done blocking.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

It came out beautifully. I love that book too. I keep debating with myself over whether I should look for a used copy of my own. One of these days I want to make the turtle skirt and the starfish shawl.
P.S. Have you seen the Star Trek movie yet??

11/5/09 6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home