Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Sock History & a Bit of Spinning

My first pair of Socktober socks is going well. I just started the increases for the gusset a little bit ago. It won't be long until I turn the heel on these puppies.

Lolly posted yesterday afternoon asking about people's sock history. So here is mine:

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I just taught myself with all the great references in the internet. I made my first sock a year after I started knitting, in the winter of 2005. It's mate wasn't finished until this spring though. Oops! I taught myself, starting fromWendy's generic toe-up sock. I didn't actually try a cuff down sock for the first time until this spring.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
My first completed pair was a pair of toe-up socks 2 at a time on magic loop for my daughter as my event for the Knitting Olymics 2005. They were made from Lion Brand Stripes in purple. They accidently got thrown in the wash, but have survived really well. They did relax a bit after they were first washed.

What would you have done differently?
I would have used a heel flap, as I have since found that a short row heel does not fit T's narrow heels very well.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
I am an avid fan of Mind's Eye Yarns's wool/tencel sock yarn. I am also really enjoying the Black Bunny handpainted superwash merino for the Black Bunny Hop-A-Long.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I only started crocheting recently, so I haven't crocheted any socks. I prefer magic loop or 2 circulars. I tend to use magic loop the most 2 socks at a time though.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
Honestly I really like both, but I find that a flap fits more people better. Both fit me well though.

How many pairs have you made?
6 pairs

Also in honor of National Spinning and Weaving Week I actually broke out my wheel and spun some of the roving I had dyed this summer. The merino roving was from a small farm in NH (no website). I dyed it with citric acid and Wilton's cake dye (plum and mulberry). I am thinking of making this into a 3 ply, which I haven't tried before. I am not sure that I will be able to wait that long to ply it up though.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mentioned using citric acid for your plum/mulberry roving - beautiful colors, by the way :)

Did the addition of the acid alter the colors? I'm having some trouble with Wilton's purple in that when I add vinegar, it washes out the red tones and I'm left with blues.

I have some citric acid, I just haven't used it yet :)

4/10/06 11:59 AM  
Blogger omly said...

It is funny that you say that because actually I forgot to add the citric acid at first and heated (via a microwave) the roving only to discover it was only getting pink, with no blue. Then I added the acid, poked it a bit to mix and reheated. Originally I was aiming for pink and purple, but the pink was so overwhelming when spun I think I would have liked a little more blue to it.

4/10/06 4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home