Monday, January 29, 2007

WIP: Wild N Crazy Man Socks

So I ordered some Mega Boots Stretch (Color 714) sock yarn to my SO some socks. Looks manly enough right? With his color phobia, it seems to be stretching his horizons a bit, but still within the realm of acceptableness.

Turns out when I went to wind this into a center pull ball, I discovered this color swatch (straight from Carodan Farm, whom I bought it from) was a wee bit misleading. It turns out that this is actually "pride socks". It stripes a tweedy red, orange, yellow, green, black all plied with a sobering solid purpley grey. The color swatch here is apparently the border of black/red section.

Exciting! Well fortunately being the people that we are this wasn't a big deal, but can you imagine how awful this could have been? I offered to make these into a pair of socks for me. I have done only the 2X2 leg ribbing so far, so it could be done. Salvbard has said that he will take them though. (I think he only says things like this to shock me though.) Of course this is with the disclaimer that they will stay inside his boots or just be worn around the house. Who knew? This has turned into an unexpected victory for color.

edit: I don't want to seem to be accusing Carodan of knowingly posting a misleading swatch. In fact I think they are a wonderful yarn provider. As evidence here is a cropped photo of this ball in it's previously un-knitted state in my stash. Doesn't it come across as a tweedy brown?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger SheepsPyjamas said...

I love the colors and I think they'll turn into a very manly pair of socks (that hopefully he'll be "Proud" to wear -- where do you suppose that color name came from?).

30/1/07 12:10 PM  
Blogger omly said...

Sheepspyjamas, are you asking about where the name color 714 came from? I just call them pride socks since they are reminiscent of a gay pride flag. In the interest of not falsely advertising his sexual preference though, I have settled for "wild n crazy man socks".

30/1/07 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home