Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Child's Apron

I don't know that I have mentioned it, but my daughter has been taking sewing lessons at Laura's Sewing School. Laura offers kids class that are nice and small so that the kids can really get the attention they need to start sewing for the first time or to go that one step further. Their first project, which Tab finished today was an apron.


When I picked her up from the class she asked, "Can we put pictures up on your blog?" Of course! Even from the perspective of a novice seamstress, I thought that this was a fabulous idea for a first project. It is a useful object, that the kids can use even if they ultimately decide that sewing is not for them.

First they traced and cut the fabric. Then they did the seams in a particular order (top and bottom, sides, and on a bias), each step talking about how sewing along the fabric in different directions is be different. The casings on the bias was left for last as the most challenging part. Then ribbon was fed through the casings, and it was done! Her first ever sewing project. See how proud the young seamstress looks?

After this apron the kids are free to choose whatever they want for a next project. I am already hearing plans for a fleece blanket.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger pigbook1 said...

tell her congrats! I wish I would have taken something like that when i was little. So awesome. How is the l&v stuff going? I keep finding little things to put in the package but I still haven't picked "the perfect" yarn how bout you?

21/3/07 1:50 PM  
Blogger SheepsPyjamas said...

What a great choice for a first project, and what a wonderful job she did with it! And, ooh, a fleece blanket sounds quite snuggleful!

21/3/07 4:36 PM  
Blogger Sitcomgirl said...

oh tell tab she did a great job on that! she so crafty :)

25/3/07 10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home