Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Balaclava

Tada, my last Christmas present. This was finished a few days ago, before Christmas, but I was hoping to get a picture of it on someone. Oh well! I really liked this pattern, and I have some black wool I will be using to make another for a soldier. This blue balaclava is for my step-brother C who works outside though.

Pattern: Helmet Liner by Bonnie Long
Needle: US 5 / 3.75 mm
Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash in 814

Modifications: I used a crocheted provisional cast-on for the face. I really liked this cast-on although no particular cast-on was specfied. It made it very easy to knit the face ribbing at the end. Also the directions for the decreases in the final row around the face are really general. I recommend making them mostly to either side of the face, as it tends to flare there otherwise. Also I cast-off in pattern, but the pattern does not specify which bind-off to use.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I really like this! I've got all that brown/black Cascade 220 that I picked up at the closing sale for the knitting room, and those colors seem to match the specs. Thanks for you added notes - they make the pattern that much more accessible.

27/12/07 4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great color, almost a blue violet - something to which I aspire in the dye pot but something which has, so far, proved elusive :)

Nice headgear - would be good for a skier, wouldn't it...

28/12/07 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home