Thursday, December 20, 2007

Large Earflap Hat

Somehow, my life is full of giant-headed men. No really. One of my step-brothers requested an ear flap hat to go with his charcoal coat. Fortunately Salvbard has the same 22.5" head, so he can model it for me. As there are several large headed men in my family, I am going to include the basic pattern here. If you make a large hat using this pattern, let me know. I would love to commiserate over large heads.

Finished Circumference: 22.5"
Yarn: 1.5 balls Reynolds Odyssey in color 414 (72.3 g)
Needles: US 8 / 5.0 mm
Gauge: 10 sts/2"

Note: I found that a round or two of single crochet was fine to stop curling, but some others (depending on yarn choice and the whims of the universe) have not found this to be true. If you are worried about it, feel free to add a non-rolling bottom like seed stitch or a folded hem (provisional cast on, knit 1" on smaller needles, purl 1 row, knit 1" on needles for gauge, then knit each stitch with one of the sts held provisionally, continue with pattern as written, measuring length from purled row).

Cast on 112 sts. (Feel free to despair at this point, as you realize how big this hat is. Then realize how much better is than knitting giant socks, and pull yourself together.) Knit even for 5 inches before starting decreases.

Decreases:
Row 1: Knit 12 sts and k2tog around
Row 2: knit even
Row 3: knit 11 sts and k2tog around
Row 4: knit even
Row 5: knit 10 sts and k2tog around
Row 6: knit even
Continue in pattern as established until you have k2tog around. Break yarn and draw through last 8 sts.

Ear Flaps:
Pick up 20 sts from cast-on edge. Knit 3 rows back in forth in stockinette, finishing on a wrong side row.
K1 ssk k16 k2tog k1
knit 3 rows in stockinette, ended on a wrong side row
K1 ssk k14 k2tog k1
knit 3 rows in stockinette, ended on a wrong side row
k1 ssk k12 k2tog k1
purl one row
bind off all stitches

Start second ear flap 35 sts over from the first one. This is slightly asymmetrical front to back, which Salvbard found fit him better. After both ear flaps were done, I added a row of single crochet around the whole hat. after blocking, I found the edges didn't roll, but your experience may vary.


Oh and to give you an idea how big this hat is here is a photo of it on me. Help, help. It's eating my head! And I seemed oddly amused by it.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Becky G said...

I made my cousin's husband a basic stockinette hat from LSU colors. I had to guess at his head size, and it ended up being a bit big. I told him that one day I'd measure his head and make him a hat that actually fit.

21/12/07 9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great hat, good pattern and entertaining post :)

And you're probably just feeling smug because it sure isn't every hat that keeps your eyes warm too!

Robbyn

21/12/07 11:14 AM  
Blogger Neve said...

Now you make me feel bad. My head is 24 inches and I'm a woman. I might just make this for my father, whose head this would fit perfectly. :P

16/11/08 10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so thrilled to find this - my husband calls himself pumpkin-head, and my first ever knit hat wouldn't even sit on his head -so I can't wait to knit this up! Thanks!

5/1/12 4:39 PM  
Anonymous Yvonne said...

I love this. Our family all have big heads. My own is 24 & 1/2 inches in circumference. Most family members are about the same and one or two a bit bigger. Finding hat patterns to fit is almost impossible. If this hat fits as I think it will the pattern will be well used.

17/11/12 5:04 PM  
Anonymous Julie said...

Can you explain "knit even" it looks like stockinette stitch, but am not familiar with "knit even."

27/12/13 8:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have been searching for a simple, well written pattern like this for my adult son who also has a pumpkin head. Thank you, I will be knitting several and will post the pictures.

30/7/22 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home