Thursday, January 03, 2008

Mitered Stories

I don't think I ever posted a photo of my scrap sock yarn blanket, although I have mentioned it in passing before. As I just finished a row of miters, I thought this might be a good time to do so though. It is made of a mixture of machine washable sock and dk weight yarns, but there is not other criteria to its components.


I know that some people go around asking for sock yarn leftovers for this type of blanket, but all of the yarns in mine are from projects I have finished. This means that progress tends to be abysmally slow, since I have to wait for a finished project for new colors, but I love that each yarn helps tell a story. As it has gotten larger, Chiquita has started coming up to me when I have it out and asks me "what is this one's story?" Some of them she recognizes as "her" yarns: yarns that I used for socks for her. Others she has seen on the feet or babies of people she knows.

Recently we were talking about how very long it may take me to finish it, since she has already laid claim to it someday. Half jokingly I told her it might take the rest of my life, but that that was okay too. She thought about it seriously for a moment, and then told me, "Momma, if you don't finish it, then maybe someday I will... but not too soon, because I don't know how and it looks hard. You will have to teach me when I am much older." I guess I might have to at that. It is good to know that both the skills and the stories will be kept though.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger AmyC said...

This is beautiful. What a great knitting journal.

4/1/08 9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty cool story Omly - pretty cool kid too :)

4/1/08 9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so sweet! That's a destined knitter. I love the way the colors go together, too. I'm making the same kind of blanket, and I want them to all blend, and yours is lovely. How are they connected? And how did you do the cute half-squares at the bottom?

4/1/08 12:54 PM  
Blogger Becky G said...

Your blanket is beautiful I have plans to make one of those some day.

4/1/08 5:22 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

What a wonderful thing to pass on to her. I hope to do the same with my girls. I love your blanket and I should probably do the same thing. I recently had to move my sock yarn leftovers into a bigger bin. I would have quite a good start already I think.

4/1/08 6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, man, what a great idea! I'm going to steal it. The fact that you have a great little Chicklet full of quote-able quotes doesn't hurt your case, either. I love it!

3/2/08 2:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahem. Sorry for the double comment, but... I see my yarns!! ::beam:: Those are my absolute *favorite* socks. The first ones out of the drawer and the ones I handwash before the actual laundry gets done so I can wear them again. I lurv them. Thank you thank you again! Ok I'm done this time.

3/2/08 2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home