Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Birthday Poncho

With Chiquita's birthday coming up, I asked her what she might like me to make for her. She didn't even pause for thought: a poncho. Really... a poncho? Are you sure?

So I sat down and worked out the details with her. It should be in blue, purple, light green, and pink ("not a light pink"). There would be black trim. And it should be crocheted, not knit. Ravelry to the rescue! We looked at many patterns, and she selected one. Then she picked out some colors, and we were off and running.


Pattern: 89-6 Crocheted Poncho with blossom by DROPS design
Size: 8/10 years
Yarn: Red Heart Ltd. Super Saver Solids in Country Rose, Light Mint, Medium Purple, Turqua, Black & Lion Brand Pound of Love in Denim
Hook: I/5.50mm

This still needs a run in the dryer to soften up the acrylics and give them more drape, but Chiquita wouldn't wait to give it a test run. I am just relieved that it seems to have exceeded her expectations. You never know with little ones.

I think my favorite detail about this pattern is actually the rose pin. It seems like a fabulous little girl accessory, and I definitely could see myself making more without necessarily making the poncho. Since it is a separate piece, Chiquita has already been planning on what else to wear it with.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home