Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Smores Sweater

I am frantically knitting away on my Sock Madness Round 2 socks, but in the meantime here is a recent FO that I sewed the buttons on yesterday. This is yet another gift for a baby boy born to Salvbard's coworkers recently. Between the shoulder buttons (for ease of getting on and off) and the cotton blend yarn (for ease of washing) I hope this is a sweater that will see a fair bit of use.

The yarn was one I bought at Mind's Eye Yarn's Sock Madness last year. I love the colors of this, which are both boy-friendly and remind me of smores. Salvbard, stick-in-the-mud that he is, says they remind him of the desert.

Pattern: Baby Sweater by Sandi Rosner
Pattern Source: Not Just Socks
Size: 1 year
Needle: US 2 / 2.75 mm
Yarn: Regia Cotton Surf Color (~87g) in color 5420
Yarn Supplier: Mind's Eye Yarns

Modifications:
Looking at several of these finished garments in Ravelry, I was really struck that the rolled edge, followed by ribbing before the stitch pattern seemed to give this garment sloppy undulating edges. So I skipped the rolled edges completely starting right with the ribbing instead careful to make the ribbing to line up with the stitch pattern (unclear in pattern), which I think combine to give it a much neater appearance.

Also I knit the sleeves shoulder down and in the round both due to my distaste for seaming and because I think decreases on sleeves tend to look neater than increases. This required more math, but ultimately was the same as if I had done them as directed.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's way cute! And okay, it may look a teeny bit like the desert, but the desert is beautiful. :D I love the shoulder buttons.

1/4/08 12:20 PM  
Blogger pigbook1 said...

love it! but i can see the desert influence there. I think it needs a bit more... umm darker brown maybe? I dunno I love it whether it is desert or smores that is for sure. G'luck w/ the socks!
BTW We already started w/ the worms, though there is a good chance we will fail miserably the first time so check back w/ me in June :-)

1/4/08 3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I definitely go with "S'mores" - anything chocolate, you know :) And it's a perfect little boy garment which I'm sure will be well loved.

You do such nice - and fast! - work :)

2/4/08 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home