Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Forest socks

We have been safely home from Europe for a few weeks, but I have been taking the time to recenter a bit. I have some things I made on the trip or saw while we were there, but first I wanted to make sure I talked about the project I finished right before we left.

The thing that made me realize that I had never talked about the FG socks is that I had started a second pair for him. I finished them just a few days before we got on the plane to Europe, although I was running around so crazy packing at that point that I didn't get pictures taken then. I have now though as I had a very obliging and tolerant model to help.

Pattern: Foxglove Master Pattern by Cat Bordhi
Pattern Source: New Pathways for Socks
Yarn: ONline Supersocke 6-ply in color 21463
Needles: US 4 / 3.5 mm

Since the last pair I made for him were cuff down, I wanted to see how well toe-up would be. For some people it seems like cuff-down ones just plain fit better, but given how big FG's feet are I really wanted to be able to maximize my yardage if possible.

As with last time, I am simply bemused by just how big this man't feet are. I have to say that making them in 6-ply made them a lot faster though. The legs seem to slouch a little more than I would like, but otherwise a 64 stitch sock seemed just about perfect in sports weight (as opposed to an 80 stitch sock in fingering).

I had to laugh that these socks make his wife think of leprechauns. This yarn was souvenir yarn from a trip to Quebec with Salvbard a few years back. (edit: Ha! Apparently I blogged about the shop we picked it up at when we visited in August 2007!) The colors remind me of deep forests, all different shades of green with touches of brown and light spots.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home