Sunday, January 13, 2013

Mermother

This week's Illustration Friday prompt is "ocean." Please excuse the scanner artifacts. In the end, I just opted to post despite them. The important thing is doing the art, and I need to not agonize over the digital image to put up. I have a fondness for mermaids and naiads, so I decided to step a little out of my comfort zone by relying less on a single reference image.

It turns out that much like last week, a number of people had similar ideas about directions involving merpeople. In particular, I really loved this sweet mergirl and this lovesick octomaid.



B pencil

These things seem to go in cycles, but at the moment I have a number of women in my life who are expecting new additions to their families. I wanted to do something more with the radiant beauty of a woman carrying new life. Apparently my vision of merpeople bear live young.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Ailish said...

Very nice! I've been avoiding the main IF site once I saw the topic so I don't get too distracted until I've submitted mine, but it doesn't surprise me that merfolk are popular. I'm on my third drawing for this week, and so far, I think I'll stick with this one. I hope.

13/1/13 9:02 PM  
Anonymous Ailish said...

I blew this up full size, and I don't see anything I recognize as scanner artifacts. Looks like a clean image of a pencil drawing on textured paper, to me.

While merfolk are often depicted with fish scales (as you did, with nice shading), I think that's for the the iridescent sparklies. The breasts and the voices generally imply they're mammals, which would make live birth consistent and reasonable.

14/1/13 4:47 AM  
Anonymous Jay at The Depp Effect said...

That's just a B pencil? Wow, you're good! I like it very much!

I avoid looking at previous submissions on IF, because I get discouraged. Everyone is just so talented, and I think a lot are professionals. I just use it as a prompt and a means to make myself work to a deadline to get back into the habit of drawing and painting.

25/1/13 3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home