Sunday, January 27, 2013

White-breasted Nuthatch

Unfortunately I did not manage to get a drawing done for last week's Illustration Friday prompt (myth) due to Arisia. I do still plan on doing it though, but it seemed like a better idea to put up this week's prompt (wings) first.

Today Majes and I saw a number of small white-breasted nuthatches over by the Sheepfold in the Fells. They are quite small but they have big voices and lots of personality. I can relate.


Crayola colored pencils (black, brown, cerulean, cool gray, gray, light orange, slate, taupe) in Moleskine

One of the thoughts in the back of my mind in starting these prompts was that I would really like to figure out color. My tendency is to work in black and white, just since it seems simpler. So it was good to push myself a little. I didn't use anything fancy for tools, just some colored pencils that we had around the house.

PS. I had a really hard time figuring out what style to consider this for Illustration Friday. Generally I default to figurative rather than realistic, but I am not sure which is more applicable. Thoughts on the difference?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Ailish said...

Spiffy! It looks like a plate in a nature guide, but with attitude. The styles on the IF submission sheet confuse me, as I've had no art training, but I'd guess this could work as either.

27/1/13 11:46 PM  
Blogger Nicky Linzey said...

So beautiful and delicate.
I always have trouble with the IF labelling too. My take on it is: figurative - you make it yours whereas realistic is more of a photographic style. But too be honest I'm not really sure either.

28/1/13 9:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A lovely image! I know what you mean about black and white I tend to favour it too...it does just seem less complicated!

28/1/13 2:11 PM  
Anonymous heidi aldin monteleone said...

What a sweet little Nuthatch. They are one of my favorite birds to watch. So cute the way they flit up and down the tree trunks!

28/1/13 6:46 PM  
Anonymous Allen said...

I really like this one, and I'm glad you pushed yourself to use some color. Well done, and keep it up! :)

28/1/13 9:48 PM  
Anonymous Jay at The Depp Effect said...

I love it! I saw it on Illustration Friday and thought - 'it's a nuthatch!' and just had to click over to see it better.

You made a really nice job of this one. If that's what you can do when you're not used to colour, I'm very impressed!

I'm like you. I'm not a professional artist, just an ordinary person who likes to be creative, and I joined in with IF to stretch myself. I've set myself the further challenge of trying something new each week.

29/1/13 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home