Tuesday, December 19, 2006

FO: Mittens

Yarn: my handspun
Cuff Yarn: Debbie Bliss Merino Aran in color 604
Fiber Content: 100% merino
Needles: US Size 4 DPNs

Have you wondered where I have been? My house ate my camera cable last week, so I was looking for it until today when it was found. Yay! Fear not though, there has been some knitting going on.

As you may recall me spinning and then my spinning wheel breaking when I was plying this yarn. Here is the finished result though. It is so squishy and soft. I definitely wanted to make something for myself from it. It is spun from some merino from a farm in NH.

Here is a close up. I love the changes in color and was really looking forward to seeing what it looked like knit up. I actually hadn't made anything from my own handspun before.

I only had about 4 oz, and I was not sure what to make. A cold snap and a timely suggestion from Lucy got me thinking about mittens. The are knit fairly tightly because I was concerned about the bitterly cold wind we get in the city. I have worn them several times since finishing them, and I am really pleased with the warmth of the final product.

I was worried about not having enough, so I used a crocheted provisional cast on with the handspun so I could add the cuff later and did an afterthought thumb. I did end up having plenty of handspun left, but I have enough that I will make a matching hat. So for the cuff I used some of a ball of Merino Aran from my stash.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Sitcomgirl said...

Ohhhh that's really pretty yarn!

24/12/06 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home