Tuesday, January 30, 2007

16-17 century old socks

Someone I know recently posted a link to the Global Egyptian Museum's inventory webpage, which included this adorable find. These knit wool sock were found in an archaeological site in upper Egypt and were made in the 4th or 5th century for a child. More information about these can be found on this webpage.

The detail I love about these most is the separate big toe so that they could be worn with sandals. Also the different fabric bias on the foot versus the heel is really interesting, and results in a very cute "collar" at the ankle. And did anyone else notice that the stitches seem twisted? I wonder if this is because of the technique to make the fabric (probably the most likely).

Does this make anyone else want to go and recreate this historical find?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think re-creating this would be a lot of fun - and it seems fairly doable, too! now, all that we need to do is figure out a pattern...

-Moosey

30/1/07 5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They probably made them with naalbinding (hence the twisty stitches), but there's no reason you couldn't knit replicas. The finished fabric is almost indistinguishable; only the method of production differs.

7/2/07 9:57 AM  
Blogger omly said...

Thanks for the thoughts almeda. Although I have heard about naalbinding, I guess I didn't know what the resulting fabric would look like. I have been thinking about how to knit these instead, which is what I will probably end up doing.

7/2/07 2:22 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I would be so psyched to get a hold of a pattern for those!

7/2/07 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home