Sunday, February 04, 2007

FO: Wild N Crazy Man Socks

Last night was fairly productive. I baked an amazingly aromatic loaf of cinnamon swirl bread and worked to finish these socks up. That meant I just needed to convince Salvbard to let me do a quick photo shoot of the socks in action. Despite the more wild color scheme than anticipated he seems to like them.
Yarn: Mega Boots Stretch, Color 714
Fiber Content: 70% Superwash, 23% Polyamide, 7% PBT
Supplier: Carodan Farm
Pattern: magic loop cuff down 2X2 leg, peasant heel and wedge toe
Needles: US Size 0 Inox Circulars for ribbing & US Size 1 Addi circulars
Yardage: 440 yards
Marathon Yardage: 1207 yards

This wasn't my favorite yarn to work with. I had heard that it was a bit splitty, and indeed it was. It also seems like it will get a bit fuzzy as it wears. My SO had asked as I was knitting if it had any mohair in it (isn't he trained well?) because of the slight halo. There isn't, but the fuzziness makes it seem that way. These will be handwashed to be as gentle on them as possible.

Unlike the grey pair I finished recently, these socks were knit with a 72 st circumference rather than 80 sts, even though the Mega Boot Stretch and Trekking XXL were very similar in weight. The grey pair got an enthusiastic thumbs up for not having any negative ease lengthwise, but after wearing them for a bit he felt that they were a bit "loose". Not enough to keep him from wearing them at all, but there was room for improvement. After slipping on the Wild n Crazy socks, he immediately dubbed them really comfortable in terms of snugness around his foot and ankle.

The smaller circumference, however, had other implications.Without any calf shaping the leg had to be noticeably shorter than the Trekking pair. So for the next (4th) pair I make for him, I think that will be my next improvement to tackle.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home