Thursday, September 04, 2008

Baby Boy Guernsey

The astute among you may notice the change in my blogging schedule. Due to my schedule this semester, I am less likely to post on MWF than I used to.

Salvbard's co-workers continue to have babies, and I keep knitting trying to keep up. The latest was a beautiful (but huge) 10 lb baby boy. So I am glad I opted for a larger sweater size for him. There is nothing quite like a hand-knit gift that never even fits.

Pattern: Infant Guernsey Sweater C-451 by Joyce Bernard
Yarn: Sirdar Snuggly DK
Yarn Supplier: Spark Craft Studio
Needles: US 7 / 4.5 mm

The little boy who is getting this sweater already has a big sister, so mom specifically requested something blue with no wool. (She is allergic.) Digging through my stash, I wasn't finding a lot to fit the bill, until I noticed this yarn. Although it is a nylon/acrylic blend it is really nice stuff: very soft and (more importantly) machine washable and dry-able.

Since the gauge was a tiny bit smaller than called for by the pattern (light-worsted), I opted to use the 12 month number of stitches for a 6 month sized sweater. The body of the sweater I lengthened a tiny bit, but otherwise all the dimensions were that of the 6 month size. Hopefully the 19" chest circumference with fit for a little while anyways.

I have made this sweater pattern twice before, and it is really one of my favorite gender-neutral patterns. I bought it early in my knitting life before I tended to look on-line for a pattern first, but it has been a great investment.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger AmyC said...

That is so precious. I love it

5/9/08 9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! Do you have a link to where I could get the pattern? Goggling for "Joyce Bernard" brings your post to the top. :)

5/9/08 4:02 PM  
Blogger omly said...

Hi Tikabelle, the pattern is put out by Silver Creek Classics, who don't seem to have as wide publication any more. You should still be able to find it online though.

5/9/08 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home