Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Not-Thick-and-Thin Cardigan

It has been downright chilly in the mornings here in New England. Which means that I have finally been in the mood to pick up this bulky sweater again.

Pattern: Thick-and-Thin Cardigan Coat by Stefanie Japel
Pattern Source: Fitted Knits
Yarn: Knit Picks Swish Superwash in Truffle and N.Y. Yarns Action in color 06
Yarn Supplier: KnitPicks and the Knitting Room (now defunct)
Needles: US 17/12.75 mm and US 8/5.00 mm

Modifications: Um yes, I did make a few.

If you look at the proportions of the arms to the body in the photographs for this sweater you will see something quite different than the what is described in the directions. Also given my petite height, I basically disregarded instructions about length, and just tried it on as I knit until the lengths pleased me.

I replaced the button band a zipper on the advice of Guido, Susan, Janet and the rest of the Athan's brunch crew. Sp I installed a 22" zipper. In retrospect, though, I might have been better off with a 20" zipper, since what I really had was more like a 21" length when worn. To that end I replaced the button band with simple garter stitch up to, but not including, the collar, which took the zipper quite well.

Could I have made the band go all the way up the collar as instructed? Yes, but I didn't have the pattern in front of me at the time. We shall consider it a "design feature". Given that last change, though, I needed to significantly lengthen the collar so that it could fold over and give me the look I wanted. And the end result? A great fall sweater.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger pigbook1 said...

I really like that sweater! Design features make the knitting our own don't you think?

3/9/08 6:27 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I am so glad to see how that looks done since I saw you working on it a couple of times. It is perfect for Fall...and that color brown looks great on you.
-Carolyn

3/9/08 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home