Monday, September 05, 2011

Mermaid socks

Despite the time frame in which they made it to the blog, both the cotton socks for Salvbard and these mermaid socks were selected with project spectrum in mind. I didn't really manage to do anything for August, but blue for July I totally had covered. But hey the color for September is yellow, so I guess it all works out.

And here is a slightly larger detail shot of the cable detail. (Click to embiggen):

Yarn: Faery Fiber Superwash Merino 2ply Fingering Weight in Mermaid
Yarn Supplier: Faery Fiber
Needles: US 1 / 2.25 mm
Pattern: 'brainless' by Yarnissima (free Rav download)

Modifications: I lengthened these to use up more yardage, hiding the increases in the cables. (See the picture full size to really appreciate the cleverness there.)

Generally I am a big fan of stockinette socks for purse knitting, but given that I was mostly working on these on vacation I went with something just this side of more interesting since it had the cable running up the side. Pretty. I think I would like them even more in a yarn with less variegation though.

Sadly this particular yarn base was discontinued by Tammy's supplier, because I did really like working with it. It had good stitch definition, wasn't splitty, took the colors well, and was even machine washable. Her use of color is fantastic in general, and I am particularly fond of these colors. I actually had several days when I was working on these, in which I looked down only to discover that I matched my knitting.

Labels: , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home