Friday, April 18, 2008

MDK & a Sunshiny Bib

I really can not imagine a world without libraries. I have been an avid fan of the library since I was little. It probably didn't hurt that my grandmother had been a librarian and had her living-room done with full wall built-in bookshelves. I adore being surrounded by books, but for the pocket-conscious you can not go wrong with the public library.

So when Chiquita and I went recently, I picked up a copy of Mason-Dixon Knitting. I have heard so much about this book, but my glance over it in a bookstore didn't convince me that it was one I necessarily needed to own. Thus the library copy was the perfect solution.

This book was a cute read, and I enjoyed the back and forth between the authors that is also so evident on their blog. I could see too how it might be liberating to have the discussion about knitted items just for use rather than just "heirloom" items. As you might be able to see from my blog however, I do not have such a hang-up. I am glad to have read it, but I don't know that the patterns are ones that I would knit often. I did make one simple item though:


Pattern: Baby Bib O' Love
Pattern Source: Mason-Dixon Knitting
Yarn: Manos del Uruguay Cotton Stria
Yarn Source: Somerville Yarn Swap

This yarn was in the bag of partials at the Somerville Yarn Swap, and I am really happy to have had a chance to work with it. It is so soft and such a happy color that I knew immediately that I wanted to make a baby item with it. Plus, cotton is so wonderfully washable!

I found the instructions to be clear, though the pattern is also fairly straight-forward anyways. This will be going in my box of baby items for the numerous babies that are due to arrive this year.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you there. I have sometimes thought you could follow the progress of my life by following the library cards.

Couldn't live without them.

Love the bright, cheerful, sunny bib!

21/4/08 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home