Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Stink-No-More

Recently I was asked by a friend if they would have to throw out some yarn if it was really stinky, or if it could somehow be salvaged. I told her that if it was a good quality yarn, something could probably be done, and thus gained a new project.

This is the yarn. I have only been able to find reference to "Cocoon de Tiber" online at the German version of Ebay, so I have no idea how my friend came to have it in her possession. It is very, very soft though: 70% angora and 30% lambswool. Unfortunately however, it smelled really chemically, like some sort of benzene derivative (think toluene or mothballs, though not quite either). After a rewinding into skeins, a long gentle soak, and hanging to dry they are smelling much better though. Now I just need to find the perfect sweater pattern for this yarn.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

I wonder if someone stored it with mothballs? If so, a good long airing should help. The color is lovely.

24/9/08 5:02 PM  
Blogger catsmum said...

What's the yardage like per ball ? and how many were there ?? and what thickness is it ?
enquiring minds want to know :]

27/9/08 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home