Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Ophidiophobia

(I admit I totally had to look ophidiophobia up, since I didn't remember the word. It is the fear of snakes.)

This year I am only going to be finishing one pair of socks during Soctoberfest in an effort to not start new stuff for a little longer. This was my last pair of sock in progress, so the rest will have to wait until I finish my 10 FO streak. (This is FO #8.)


Can you tell it is getting cooler here in New England by the color of the light?

Pattern: Aquaphobia by Knitfreak
Yarn: Mind's Eye Yarns Merino/Tencel sock yarn in Slytherin
Yarn Supplier: Mind's Eye Yarns
Needles: US 1/2.25 mm

I love, love, love the look of this stitch pattern (basically the same slip stitch pattern that you see on an eye of the partridge heel). And it is absolutely perfect for a pair of Slytherin socks, as the texture of the pattern reminds me very much of little scales.

But knowing that I simply can not leave well enough alone, I did make a few modifications. First of all I knit these toe up in the Riverbed pathway from Cat Bohrdi's New Pathways book. So clever!

I also eliminated the small cables along the side of the foot, since it seemed to me that yarns that tend to look great in a slip stitch pattern tend not show off a cable well. The column of purled stitches that I left is only 2 stitches wide, similar to the amount to one side of a cable.

And finally I continued the slip-stitch pattern all along the sole and heel of the sock. This pattern tends to eat up more yarn than others, and my modification even more so. So if you have bigger feet or really prefer a longer leg, this may not be the way for you. It just seemed sort of funny to me to put the most durable part of the sock on top and not on the bottom where it would wear more.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those really are nice - and it never occurred to me to try the Eye-of-partidge pattern anywhere but the heel flap. What an excellent idea for that kind of yarn!

I'll be trying this myself sonner or later :)

22/10/08 8:03 AM  
Blogger Pandora said...

Are you scared of snakes? Hmmm, I guess you can be Slytherin and not like snakes. i think my kid is a Slytherin.

24/10/08 9:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

These socks turned out awesome. Love them :). :).

24/10/08 10:34 PM  
Blogger omly said...

@ Pandora
No I am not afraid of snakes (beyond a healthy respect or the dangerous ones). We have actually talked about getting one for a pet, but we have a pet lizard in our lives who rules the roost for now.

26/10/08 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home