Friday, February 19, 2010

Quidditch Headband

I know that I said I was trying to get things off the needles, but I did cast-on one quick project to wear as my Quidditch uniform for the House Cup. It had been a while since I had done any double knitting. There was a double knit Slytherin hat for a friend and podcaster, and my stained glass hat from way back in 2006 before that.

Headband Pattern: Double-Knit Headband by Nancy Lindberg
Colorwork Pattern: Pillbox Flowers by Deb Gemmell
Pattern Source: Knit Hats!
Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash in 801 (green)
& Nashua Handknits Creative Focus Superwash in 09 (grey)
Yarn Suppliers: Woolcott & Co. (now closed) & Windsor Button
Needle: US 5 / 3.75 mm


Look, it's reversible!


This project is yet another from a pattern book that I have had for a while, but never knit from. It is actually a hybrid of two patterns from this book: Double-Knit Headband for the headband instructions and Pillbox Flowers for the design. I also added a few rows to the top and bottom of the band for a little additional width. Done over 84 sts in worsted weight, but on 5s gave a nice dense fabric still small enough for my little head.

I really like the instructions for the cast-on and bind-off that leave this project perfectly stretchy. Clever! The double knitting feels really slow though, as a more experienced (English) knitter, compared to regular knitting.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Thea said...

The headband is great! I've never done double knitting, but I love the idea of the reversible headband -- and I'm thinking my daughter might too.....

20/2/10 8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home