Monday, March 08, 2010

*shrug* It's Vintage

Many moons ago I decided to make a shrug for my housemate for when she was in the office. Having finished it is one of the few things that could make me smile about standing outside while it snowed on me without a coat.


And the back:

Pattern: Beacon Hill Shawl (free vintage pattern)
Yarn: Lion Brand Microspun
Needles: US 2 / 2.75 mm & US 4 / 3.5 mm

Modifications: I lengthened the sleeves to be wrist length, and omitted the crocheted edging. Lengthening the sleeves meant I seemed a little more than the recommended 6" above the ribbing.

Also I am not terribly clever and for the first few inches missed the fact that there was supposed to be in garter stitch at the edges of the lace section. So instead I did it in stockinette, which I actually really liked. Especially in the Microspun it gave a lovely soft rolled edge (which also meant omitting sewing down the edge as a collar as suggested) and beautiful seam on the inside of the arm (can be seen in the first photo). Given the generosity of the width of the lace panel, you do not miss the stitches "lost" to the curled edge.

I was a little nervous about doing the lace in a non-animal fiber yarn (eek, no blocking), but it was a must given a wool allergy. This yarn makes an amazing fabric, though, with good drape, and the pattern, which is rib-like, makes a fabric with surprising memory even in something so drapey. My only complaint is that the yarn is just twisted together rather than plied, which occasionally made it annoying to work with.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home